Northwest Florida is under a Winter Weather Watch from Tuesday, January 28th until Wednesday, January 29th. Because of the ice accumulation there is an increased possibility for bridges freezing, slick portions of the road, and accidents on busy streets. If you have to drive during this weather, here are a few safety tips.
Driving on Ice
- Decrease your speed and leave yourself at least three times the usual space between you and the car in front of you to leave yourself plenty of time to stop.
- To avoid skidding, break easily.
- Turn your lights on and keep your windshield clean.
- If your back tires skid, take your foot off of the accelerator and steer in the direction you want the front wheels to go. Do not panic when trying to get your car under control.
- If your front tires skid, remove your foot from the gas but do not try to steer immediately. As you’re skidding sideways, the car will begin to slow down and traction of your tires will return. Now, steer in the direction you want your car to go and put your transmission in drive and accelerate gently.
- Avoid texting or talking on the phone while driving in these conditions.
If you’re in need of auto repairs in Fort Walton Beach, please do not hesitate to call Neese Automotive today!